Monday, September 5, 2011

Paddlewheel quilt

In an attempt to get rid of the pile of stuff on my sewing table, I'm trying to finish some of my UFO's.  This is the latest one that used Civil War Reunion fabric by Barbara Brackman and the paddlewheel quilt pattern from Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Sensations:



I love Barbara Brackman fabrics but I'm never quite sure how to use them.  Kim's scrap basket books were just the right inspiration.  The patterns cater to jelly rolls but she gives a second set of cutting instructions in case you want to work from scraps...or in my case, from a fat eight bundle.  I've taken to buying fat eighth bundles in a (weak) attempt to keep my fabric shopping under control and with these scrap basket patterns in hand, I will have no problem figuring out how to use them.

I kept thinking about my brother-in-law Ken off and on while putting together this quilt top.  He left us far too soon but there are always things that remind me of him, and his dedication to his union was one of them.  He was a union rep for CP Rail and was always helping someone out.  I know the "union" in these civil war fabrics is a completely different kind of union to the one Ken was involved with but the use of the word was a great reminder of a great guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment